Thursday, May 14, 2009

Confess.


Page 22

Ever since I was little my biggest dream was to make a difference in the world. Not to be famous. Not to be wealthy... I just wanted to be somebody that helped someone. I would pretend I was a super hero - of course, I couldn't tell anyone. It would jeopardize my life. (This probably went on for far too long in my life... I dreamed of being a super hero long after I stopped believing they existed. Maybe I was the only one.)

As I got older, I started looking for other ways to help. Feeding the homeless. Volunteering places. Mission trips. But none of it has ever felt like enough for me. I've never really really connected. I'm not as outgoing as I'd like to be. It takes me a really long time to warm up to people. Especially in situations where I'm am so humbled.

Art has always been... "my thing". And it wasn't until recently that I considered doing something with art to benefit others.

The hardest part about making a difference is really knowing where to start.

Once I realized I wanted to help - I realized I was afraid to do something on my own. What if my project had the reverse effect. What if I ended up giving the wrong idea. What if I ended up hurting instead of helping.

I have been doing tons of research on non profits and other helpful organizations. And I've stumbled upon The Love Alliance. And I think they have it right. It starts with Education.
They give helpful bits of education on different social situations. Then they list what you can do to help. Definitely a step in the right direction for people that just don't know where to start.

I've also stumbled across this lovely lady's blog and site, Social He(art)
For anyone involved in art that would like to get involved in social issues... this is the place.
I'm so excited about seeing other artists helping. I hope one day my name will be on her site somewhere.

And lastly...

What I'm watching:



Want to see it desperately. It looks absolutely beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog--I'm a committed follower, now! Thoroughly enjoy your art and hope to keep in touch...

    Take care and thank you,
    Anya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! <3
    I hope to as well.
    And it's my pleasure!
    always, Julie

    ReplyDelete